Your travelling…. and you want to share your mobile broadband connection over WiFi. What can you do…?
Following are the options available…
1) Using a MiFi router. There are various models and types, Google it if you want more information.
2) If you have an Android or an Apple Device (iOS), you already have it; assuming that you have your cellular/mobile data connection connected.
- Android portable Wi-Fi hotspot – Android Help.
- iOS – Personal Hotspot – http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4517
3) If you don’t have any of these still there is a way, as long as you have a windows and a PC with a WiFi adapter. (Disadvantage of this method is that you can only connect windows computers)
- Connect your Mobile Broadband Connection
- Go to; Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center
- Create the Ad-Hoc Connection
- Turn on Internet Connection Sharing
- Ask others to connect to the defined WiFi Connection Name (In the below video it’s VENURA9.COM)
- Following video explains how it is done;
4) If you are more of a techie you can have a fully fledged WiFi network on your PC. This way you are not restrcited to a network where only the windows users can connect.
- Run the “cmd.exe” as the administrator
- Run the following commands to setup the network (Network SSID is VENURA and the password is 12345678):
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow "ssid=VENURA" "key=12345678" KeyUsage=persistent
- To Start:
netsh wlan start hostednetwork
- To Stop:
netsh wlan stop hostednetwork
- Go to: Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections
- Go to the properties of the connection you want to share, this can be a mobile broadband connection or even a wired connection
- Select the sharing tab and tick “Allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection”
- From the drop down select “Wireless Network Connection 2” (Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter)
- Press OK
- Other PCs, MACs and Phones will see a network named “VENURA” and they can connect using the password “12345678“